Board Highlights - May 1
The Board acknowledges the traditional territories of the peoples of Treaty 7 region in Southern Alberta and the Métis Nation of Alberta Region 3.
Facility Services Update
Rob Ladd, Director of Facility Services provided an update on the activities to date which included a review of staff and staff training; maintenance; operations and projects including an update of the new Meadow Ridge School.
The Board of Trustees approved that Larry Albrecht attend the CASSA Conference – July 3-5, 2019 as his conference of choice as per Policy 7 – Board Operations.
Contract for Pamela Rannelli
The Board of Trustees approved a contract for Pamela Rannelli as Deputy Superintendent for the period of June 10, 2019 to August 31, 2019.
Monthly Financial Update
Denise Gow, Director of Finance presented the financial update as of March 31, 2019. It was noted that some grants are received in blocks, not proportionately over the year, and investment income is high as one of our GICs matures September 1, 2019.
Learning Services Update
Assistant Superintendent Caroline Roberts presented the Learning Services Update which covered staff development; indigenous learning; inclusive learning; positive behavior support & assistive technologies; French Immersion & French as a Second Language; distributed learning and mental health & wellness.
Foothills Children’s Wellness Network – Youth Branch have reached out by way of a ‘community challenge’ to local businesses in an effort to connect with our youth throughout the community. Local businesses are already stepping up to the challenge and it will be exciting to see what happens with this innovative approach.
Public Announcements / Recognition / Division Highlights
- Dex Drewitz, a grade 5 student at Ecole Percy Pegler School, is co-starring as Billy Elliot in the latest Theatre Calgary production. We're very proud of Dex for his dedication, endurance, and responsibility in this leading role.
- 33 junior high Westmount students went sailing in the Gulf Islands. Students took turns working in the galley, preparing meals for their crews, working on the deck, cleaning heads, learning navigation, took turns in the Captain’s chair, tying knots and so much more. Students also worked with biologists and identified seals, harbor porpoises, sea lions, Orcas and more!
- Staffing Announcements: Bobbi Hunter will take on the principalship at Dr Morris Gibson School in September; Brad Skeet will be the Vice Principal at Ecole Joe Clark School; Debra Sorensen will be Vice Principal at Westmount School; Stacey Swanson will be Vice Principal a C I McLaren School; Chase Ellis becomes Principal at Blackie School; and Rhonda Bymak is Principal at Longview School.
- Principal Phil Irwin has been awarded the Distinguished Leadership Award by the Council for School Leadership of the Alberta Teachers’ Association. The CSL Distinguished Leadership Awards creates a learning community of outstanding principals and assistant principals throughout Alberta who can share professionally, interact collegially, and act as mentors to new colleagues. It provides avenues for research and sharing of best practices. The cadre of Distinguished Alberta School Leaders are people who are looking to challenge the status quo, improve learning in their contexts, and be equipped for higher levels of leadership. These individuals are considered role models in a vibrant network of educational leaders with the confidence and capabilities to lead innovative change for 21st century learning - the Council for School Leadership.
- Classroom / Program Innovative Projects (CPIP) applications are now open – deadline is Friday May 3.
- School Council Chairs attended ASCA and indicated how much they appreciated the opportunity.